The history of the Scottish Episcopal Church here in Keith is fascinating and stretches for
some time into the past.
There has been a presence of Episcopalians in the area for some time, in various guises and locations. It is thought that in 1742 “a large Episcopal Meeting House was a place called Rosarie, where the minister has a very great auditory.”
It is later in 1807 that the first proper Episcopal Chapel in Keith was built. It was located at the back of what is now Annand’s Hardware Shop in Mid-Street, Keith. It is understood that the congregation had previously gathered in a turf- built house in Newmill before transferring to Bridge Street, New Keith in around 1779.
Having been worshipping in the chapel at the back of what is now Annand’s on Mid- Street, the feu for the land/ building was sold to James Annand in 1879, however the congregation continued to worship there for seven years with the option for a further three years if needed. This was in anticipation of the building of Holy Trinity Church on Seafield Avenue. Holy Trinity Church was completed in 1882. It is reported that there was an appeal for funds for the church building advertising for a Bazaar in the Elgin Courant and Courier, and the hope to raise £800 towards the cost of building. A list of Patronesses is headed by Her Grace, the Duchess of Richmond and Gordon, The Right Hon. the Countess of Seafield and the Right Hon. Lady Clinton. The Stall Holders at the Bazaar included Mrs Kynoch-Shand, The Linn and Mrs Wheen, Isla Bank. The Bazaar was held in the Longmore Hall on 13th and 14th June 1882 and the church was completed later that year.
Holy Trinity Church has a long association with the Kynoch family and although it is little documented it is considered that the Kynochs, George Kynoch II & III, were largely responsible for the main part of the financing of the church. This ensured that there was a church to worship in and all the people working in the mills and their families could attend also. There are three of the windows behind the alter which have inscriptions on them to various members of the Kynoch family. (See Gallery)
Holy Trinity Church was supported by the Kynochs until the family no longer lived in Keith and the mill closed down, however their legacy of a beautiful building remains in use and is noted as part of the historical trail of Keith as people visit this area and the Strathisla Distillery further along the road.
The building is the largest church (St. Andrew’s Cathedral in Inverness is the largest) in the Diocese of Moray, Ross and Caithness.