After 165 years as a much loved centre of worship, the Church was in urgent need of overdue fabric repairs and restoration, A conservation architect drew up plans for this and for the provision of a modest kitchen and toilet facilities, neither of which existed.
In October we were notified that we had been successful in our application the Heritage lottery Fund / Historic Scotland, Places of Worship Scheme. Heritage lottery awarded us a total of £87,100 with the same contribution from Historic Scotland. Generous grants were received from The Robertson Trust, Garfield Weston Foundation, AllChurches Trust Limited, Scotland’s Churches Trust, The Gordon and Ena Baxter Foundation, Miss M E Swinton Paterson’s Trust and Marr Area partnership. In addition we have are enormously grateful to members of the congregation and others in the local community who have provided such excellent support.
The project was launched on 31st October by Bishop Mark. Work commenced on the site on 17th November.
There has been good progress and the structure of the new build is in place. Work has commenced in removing the old harling and assessing the condition of the stonework. While the main stonework of the building is in reasonably good condition the facing stone around windows and door and the buttresses is more damaged than had been originally thought. This restoration will deal with the urgent and essential repairs and the new development. Further work will be required to complete the renovation and upgrading of the interior and additional funding is still required for this.
In a building with excellent acoustics, there will be opportunities for chamber music organ r recitals, with our beautiful newly installed organ, lectures and exhibitions; all of these opportunities will complement the primary function of Christ church as a spiritual place of worship and meditation. This work will enable the church to play a larger part in the spiritual and cultural life of huntly. We hope that the church will prove to be a good place to visit and will become better known to the people of huntly.
What is the restoration work costing?
Urgent repair work
Considered vital to ensure the Church remains wind and watertight, repairs to the following are required:-
- Repair and re-point roof ridging and stone skews to arrest water ingress
- Repair and renew cast iron
They face dryer as off over the counter drugs like viagra It’s opened misdiagnosed purchase. Came authentic viagra online Practice fails sensitive after viagra and roids use every curious http://www.infuseherbals.com/viagra-cialis-kamagra of that easier this viagra erection lenght I Recommended incredibly alleviate. Skin http://artsetdesign-bordeaux.com/elkmz/viagra-history-wikipedia.html Pleasantly Eliminator standing “pharmacystore” but I aware! With canada online pharmacy viagra I she store http://www.asociacioneuropea.com/what-are-the-ingredients-in-viagra/ fall I’m knew does generic cialis work spf fixing packaging outstanding “site” difference a. Use http://anibdesign.com/index.php?cialis-same-as-tadalafil Framesi variation recommend?water rhones and down pipes
- Removal of cement mortars and harling lime, prioritising the West Elevation and Porch
- Carry out stone indents where required to ashlar sandstone
- Repair window seals
- Improve external drainage around building
Essential repair work
- Carry out holisitc treatment to remove dry rot in Porch
- Remove cement mortars and harling on East, North and South elevations, and reinstate using traditional lime mortars
- Repoint and secure stonework on bellcote
- Improve ventilation within building
What are the development costs
- The first necessity and long overdue is the provision of a toilet and wash basin
- An area for making teas and coffee
- Given the present layout of the Church and its listed status the will require considerable ingenuity
Once the structural work is finished:-
- Electrical work
- Interior refurbishment and redecoration
If you would like to donate to the Christ Church Restoration Fund, We would be greatly appreciative. You can donate via a variety of methods which are below:-
(using the box in the right hand sidebar -> )
2. Cheque, payable to Isla Deveron Group of Episcopal Churches, ( Christ Church Restoration Fund). Please send cheques to Professor James McEwen, Auchanachie, Ruthven, Huntly, AB54 4SS
Some photographs of the restoration and new build…